Kateryne De La Rosa

Hi, my name is Kateryne but people call me Kate. Yes, as you all know foreign names are complicated to pronounce, so I was given an american name. I am from the Dominican Republic! A little island in the Caribbean where the sun shines everyday and summer is eternal. I am the oldest child of 3 kids. My mom, dad, and siblings live back home while I live here in the U.S.A. If you are wondering why? Here is my answer... I came to the U.S.A to fallow my dreams (like other people call it "The American Dream."). Since I was little I dreamed about coming to college in the U.S. I worked as hard as I could everyday of my life. I pushed my self to be the best at everything I did. I was always in the top three in my class. I went to English classes three days a week since I was eight because if you want to study abroad, you should now the language or at least have knowledge of it. At the age of sixteen, I was introduced to AFS a program for students who want to study abroad. I went through a long process before I was accepted to this program, and finally at the age of seventeen I began my journey.

 I first came to the U.S.A in 2011 as an exchange student with AFS. I was send to De Pere, Wisconsin; where I lived with an american family, and went to De Pere High School (an american school). I felt in love with the place and the people that surrounded me. Everyone was so caring and welcoming that my experience ended up being one of the greatest decision that I've ever made. I wanted to come back!

Since I wanted to come back, I stared the search for scholarships, and schools that I could go to. Through a friend I found out about a program that awarded scholarships to study abroad for outstanding students. Before I even heard about this program my number one search was always Utah State because I always heard great things about the Biotechnology program. Sometimes I thing that Utah State and I were meant to be because one of the school listed on the college option list was USU. I could have go to other states and other schools, but I stuck with what my gut told me was right. I'm really lucky to be here and be part of the family of Utah State University. I think that coming to Utah State has been so far the most amazing experience and the best decision I've ever made. In the end I changed my major to Biochemistry with a Biology minor, I love my program and my Professors. I am the happiest that I could be doing what I love, surrounded with amazing and helpful people. Here I live in a beautiful place with great scenery, and lots of outdoor activities that anyone can participate in. At Utah State University I'm living the life.

GO AGGIES!

Comments

Popular Posts