Sunday, October 25, 2015

USU Housing - Yuzhen Luo

Okay! ...... Pause for a second....... Now imagine yourself in a foreign country; different people, culture, language, you are not sure how to get to the international office, you are not familiar with the transportation, you don't know where to find your academic adviser, you are not sure what to expect when it comes to dinner, in fact, you are not even sure where you can find food! Those were some of my barriers when I first came to USU. My starting point to overcome these barriers was on campus housing. I mean, if you think about 'housing' as a location where you are summoned everyday and where you report to at and the end of everyday - it actually does play a very big role during your time at college.

First I would like to clarify that campus housing is not simply a room or rooms with bed spaces and studying tables, there is a life there! Hence we also call it residence life. Living on campus is definitely a great way to be introduced to American culture. Yes,  American culture does exist! I enjoyed my experience as an international student living on campus for the past three years - here's why. 
I had to start somewhere. It could have been anywhere but I chose residence life (or campus housing) as my starting point. You know when you first end up in a foreign place, you tend to be this quiet person that just stands around, looks around, and just follow along? At least that's how it was for me. Residence life offered the opportunities for me to tag along with groups of friends that shared common interests - the community is very friendly and welcoming. For me, residence life was where I met some of the most influential people throughout my time. Whether it's sitting at the dining tables, playing volleyball at the lawns, converging in the studying rooms to play board games, or challenging each other in table tennis, pool or foosball, it was always a fun, entertaining, and engaging. 

Campus housing offered the convenience to literally everything! From classrooms, to fitness centers, transportation, entertainment, food, parking, etc etc... there's just too much to list. Imagine waking up at 7:20 am for your 7:30 am class (you know, it happens!), nothing beats the comfort to get to class in 5 mins! 

All I can say is that you will not regret your decision to live on campus. It has been a rewarding experience for me and I can only imagine that it gets better every year. 






No comments:

Post a Comment