Monday, October 12, 2015

What's not to love about Utah State University!

I always get asked this question: "Why Utah State University?"
It’s always fun to see people’s reaction when I tell them I am from Ethiopia, mainly because they have never met anyone from Ethiopia or Africa for that matter. 

Well this is how I ended up in this wonderful school which I now call home ………

I came to the United State in search of better education and to experience, what most people refer to as – “The American Dream”. When I started looking for universities, I was mainly looking for schools that offered a degree in my major and scholarships for international students, the rest honestly didn’t matter.  

Well, we all know how expensive tuition is for international students, and for me $$$ was a huge factor. 

I was getting advise on how to apply from my sister, who at the time was a student at USU. I applied to 5 different universities including USU. I applied to USU to stay close to my sister and of course because they have the field that I am interested in. In addition to that, accommodation and living expenses is cheaper in Logan compared to other places I looked at.

The process to get admitted to USU was easier and faster than any of the other schools I applied to, thus I was able to start college shortly after graduating from high school. Getting an acceptance letter form USU was probably one of the most exciting moments of my life. I didn’t know what was waiting for me but I knew it was going to be great.

I started school January of 2012, which was spring semester, and Utah welcomed me with lots of snow :) Seriously though, everything was covered in white and it was just BEAUTIFUL. Once I got to Logan, I was welcomed with open arms and people were really friendly and supportive.


Logan is a small college town, and its the perfect environment to focus on school because there are less distraction. Logan is just about two hours drive away from Salt Lake City, so if you are a "Big City" kind of person, you can still have that big city experience whenever you want.

I can tell you so much about how great USU and Logan are, but you will have to come and experience it for yourself to see if USU is the right place for you. Instead, I will share with you some of my greatest accomplishments as a student at Utah State University.


International Students Council 2013 - 2014

1.  Serving on the International Student Council 

I served as a financial chair person on the International Student Council (ISC) for two consecutive years and I absolutely loved the experience. As a council member, I got the opportunity to work with student leaders from other countries to promote diversity on campus. I met a lot of my good friends through this program and I got SCHOLARSHIP for it. The pic shows last years council members which included students form the following countries: Ethiopia (duhh :)), Dominican Republic, India, China, Taiwan, Singapore and Saudi Arabia




USU Ambassadors 2013 - 2015 - oh hey there is an Ethiopian :)


2. Being a Student Ambassador

The Ambassador program is a unique program that offers students the opportunity to share their experiences at USU, through campus tours and various activities, to help bring students to USU.  I gain leadership skills while working with these amazing group of students. 
If you like working with people, this is a great opportunity to get involved in. plus you get compensated with a Scholarship YAY





3. Getting involved in Undergraduate Research

USU's Undergraduate Research Program is the second oldest undergraduate program in the NATION. So, at USU  you will have the opportunity to do research in whatever field you are interested in. I am very fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to do research as an undergrad, getting that hands on experience outside of the class room. 






Caryl Stern, President and CEO for U.S Fund for UNICEF 

4. Attending the 2014 Millennium Campus Network

As a member of the USU for UNICEF club, I got the opportunity to attended a student leadership conference in Florida, where I got the privilege to meet and network with leaders from around the world, one of whom was Caryl Stern, President and CEO of U.S fund for UNICEF.
I have always dreamed of working for/with NGO's like UNICEF, so this was a huge deal for me!
  
oh and USU paid for all my expenses to go attend this conference! YES THANK YOU USU.
 





Picture on the "A" with my sorority sisters 

5. Becoming a part of Greek Life

I joined Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority Inc. my sophomore year and I love everything about it.

To be honest before coming to USU, I have never thought about being in a sorority because of the negative things that is portrayed in movies/media. However, this sisterhood has provided me a support system and different service and leadership opportunities that enhanced my college experience.











~ HENON GEBRE~

“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela







No comments:

Post a Comment